RV Advice RV Terminology


A-E   F-J   K-O   P-T   U-Z   

Park Model: Type of RV that is usually designed for permanent parking but is shorter in length than a traditional mobile home. All the amenities of a mobile home but not built for recreational travel.

Part-timers: People who use their RV for longer than normal vacation time but less than one year.

Patio mat: Carpet or woven mat for use on ground outside of RV. Used whether or not a concrete patio pad is available where camping.

Pitch-in: Term for a RV campground "get-together", usually means "pitching-in" a covered dish or casserole.

PO: Abbreviation for "pop-up" camper.

Pop-out: Term for room or area that 'pops-out' for additional living space in RV. This type of expanded living area was more common before the technology of slide-out rooms became popular and available.

Popup/Pop-Up: Folding camping trailer. See also: Internet Popup Newsgroup

Porpoising: A term used to define an up and down motion with a RV.

Primitive camping: Also known as "dry camping", boondocking. Camping without the modern convenience of full-hookup facilities of city/well water, sewer/septic and electricity. Primitive campers rely on 'on-board' systems for these conveniences; generator, batteries, stored water, etc.

Puller: Slang for front engine motorhome. Term most often used to refer to front mounted diesel engine motorhomes.

Pull-through: Term for a camping space (whether in campground or not) that only requires the driver to "pull-through" or "drive-through" to access the camping spot, and upon leaving (after camping) you again just drive forward to leave or exit the camping space.

Pusher: Slang for rear engine motorhome. Term most often used to refer to diesel engine motorhomes.


Reefer: Slang for "refrigerator". Refrigerators are often found in either a "two way" or "three way" operating mode. Two way: has a gas mode and an AC mode. Three way: has a gas mode, AC mode, and 12v DC mode. The coolant used in RV refrigeration is ammonia. The two most common manufacturers of RV refrigerators are Norcold and Dometic.

Road Wander: Term used to describe a lack of ability to maintain the motorhome in a straight, forward travel without constant back and forth motion of the steering wheel.

RVDA: Abbreviation for Recreational Vehicle Dealer's Association. See Also: RVDA

RVIA: Abbreviation for Recreational Vehicle Industry Association. See Also: RVIA


Screen room: Term for screen enclosure that attaches to the exterior of a RV for a "bug free" outside sitting area. Some screen rooms have a canvas type roof for rain protection as well.

Shore Power: Electricity provided by an external plug to external power source

Slide-in: Term for a type of camper that mounts on a truck bed, because often this type of camper "slides-in" to the truck bed.

Slide-out: Additional living space that "slides-out" either by hydraulics, electricity or manually, when the RV is setup for camping.

Slider: Slang for slider-hitch. See Slider-hitch.

Slider-hitch: Referring to a sliding hitch used on short bed trucks for enabling them to tow fifth wheels, allowing them sufficient clearnance to jack-knife the trailer.

Snowbird: Term for someone in a northern climate that heads "south" in winter months.

SUT: Short for sport utility trailer. Can be either a fifth wheel or travel trailer with a built in cargo area for ATV's, bikes, motorcycles, mopeds, or other "toys" you want to take with you inside your RV.


Tag Axle: A dead axle behind the drive axle that helps support the weight of the overhang and gives you a little more GVW capacity so you don't have to put the full load on the drive axle. Most tag axles are good for supporting 4-5,000 pounds.

Tailgunner: The end RV or vehicle in a caravan (see Caravan).

Tip-out: Term for room (generally in older RVs) that "tipped-out" for additional living space once RV was parked. Newer RVs mainly use 'slide-out' rooms.

Toad: Term for a "towed" vehicle.

Toy-hauler: Term for fifth wheel, travel trailer or motorhome with built-in interior cargo space for motorcycles, bikes, etc.

Tranny: slang for transmission

Triple towing: Term for three vehicles attached together. Usually a tow vehicle pulling a fifth wheel and the fifth wheel pulling a boat. See also: RV Advice Neato Info or RV Travel Guide for towing laws.

TT: Abbreviation for "travel trailer".

TV: Abbreviation for "tow vehicle". See also: Chevy trucks, Ford trucks, Dodge Trucks, Internet Newsgroup:Dodge trucks, The Diesel Stop, Turbo Diesel Register, BD Engine Brake, Inc., Tow Ratings.


Main PageMain Page Updates Page Updates

This page last updated February 19, 2012

This webpage created, hosted and maintained by RV Chassis Master, Inc.